> I have a lot of apps using Formencode and will likely need to move off it.
> It's no longer maintained, and needs to a patch/fork to run under Python3.
> That's been fine for internal apps, but it's a pain for open sourced efforts.

I'm using Formencode in Python 3. When I was finally able to move
fully into Python 3 a couple years ago, Formencode had a new
maintainer and a Python 3 compatible version, so I'm not sure where
the discrepency is. I use FormEncode extensively, both for forms and
to validate the config settings. I had to use a fork of
'pyramid_fanstatic' for years because of a '' instead of b'' in the
code, until a release finally came this year, but I didn't have that
much problems with Formencode. I'll look at my code to see which
vFormencode ersion I'm using and when I dropped Python 2.

I tried using Deform/Peppercorn but I got frustrated at how it
separates validation and type conversion, whereas I often need them
combined' e.g., to allow 'int, but pass through None unchanged, and
convert empty/missing tstring o None'. I kept coming back to
Formencode even with its complications and anachronisms because it
does validation so well and flexibly that I can use it for both forms
and non-forms.