On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Bill Janssen wrote:

Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:

The new Mac OS X 10.6 section of the Makefile makes use of the new --arch
JCC command line parameter that makes it possible to override the -arch
settings Python was configured with. Even though Mac OS X 10.6 is only
available on Intel platforms, the Mac OS X 10.6 Python shipped by Apple was
configured with three architectures, -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc,
making for compiles that are three times slower than needed and binaries
that are three times bigger. On Mac OS X 10.6 the PyLucene Makefile invokes
JCC with --arch x86_64 to build 64-bit executables only.

Andi, I can see why removing "--arch ppc" is a good idea, but Python on
OS X 10.6 is configurable to run either as 64-bit or 32-bit, which is a
pain.  See the Snow Leopard man page for "python".  So I'd guess that
the .so should be both 32-bit and 64-bit, no?

I'm removing both -arch i386 and -arch ppc. This Makefile section says that it's for Mac OS X 10.6 64-bit python.

If one wanted to use 32-bit Python on Mac OS X 10.6, they could copy that section and/or change it to use --arch i386.

If one wanted all three archs to be built, they can remove the --arch x86_64 thing altogether, of course.

Andi..