Hi Dawid,

Thank you for checking the rc out !
More replies inline.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022, Dawid Weiss wrote:

I downloaded the release - these files and folders should be probably
excluded from the distribution as it's gradle's binary
throw-away caches and generated stuff:

pylucene-9.1.0/lucene-java-9.1.0/.gradle
pylucene-9.1.0/lucene-java-9.1.0/gradle.properties

Perhaps you should use "git clean -xfd ." on Lucene's checkout prior
to assembling the distribution?

I'm now excluding all .[a-z]* files as well as gradle.properties.
And I'm respinning an rc2 for this change.

Also, the installation instructions seem a bit outdated (Java version, etc.):
https://lucene.apache.org/pylucene/install.html

I tried compiling everything from scratch by exporting JAVA_HOME and
JCC_JDK but failed. :(  Any hints as to what I may be doing wrong?

The instructions are very outdated indeed (!)

If you tell me what OS you are on and what the error actually is, I can help you a bit better. But assuming you're on a Mac, you do not need to export JAVA_HOME, but you can, it overrides what jcc is trying to do without it being set.
The $ /usr/libexec/java_home command works, it returns this
  /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/temurin-17.jdk/Contents/Home
for me, which is correct.
If you do *not* set JAVA_HOME, jcc will try to figure it out for you, and report what it found (or not).

For me, on Mac, the build instructions are as simple as this:
I have python 3 in a virtual environment in my pylucene directory:
  $ cd ~/apache/pylucene/jcc
  $ ../_install3/bin/python setup.py build install
  $ cd ..
    edit Makefile to uncommment/edit the configuration that corresponds to
    your setup
  $ make all test

Please, let me know how it goes !

Andi..