Alan,

        VMD is more memory efficient that PyMOL.  Probably the main
reason for this is that PyMOL pre-calculates and stores all of the
geometries it is going to show down to the last vertex.

        You can reduce the amount of memory PyMOL needs for cartoons by
setting:

set cartoon_sampling, 3

        But the real way to solve your problem is to get more RAM.  If
you're using PyMOL to visualize MD trajectories, I recommend buying as
much RAM as you can afford (and your system can take).  1 GB is a
reasonable minimum.  1.5-2 GB is definitely better.  I don't know what
prices are like in Brazil, but a GB of RAM can be purchased here in the
states for $150-400.

        By the way, you can also use extra RAM to speed up ray-tracing
by 2-3 fold if you set hash_max to 150-200.

To answer to your second question:

import os
os.system"(mencoder \*.png -mf on:fps=30 -o mvc1ec2.avi
-ovc lavc -lavcopts > vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=6000:vhq:keyint=30")

mailto:war...@delanoscientific.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
DeLano Scientific LLC