Dear Jacob and Andreas,

The PyMOL launching procedure occurs IMO in three
steps:
1) Start main PyMOL window and command processor
2) Start floating Tk window
3) Start plugins
(it should be similar when you use PyMOL in batch
mode).

Thus, it may occur that commands from your .pml
scripts  are executed while the rtools plugin has not
been initialized yet.
A simple solution would be to issue a delay of 2-5 sec
at the start of the script to make sure rtools is up
and running.
You could do this using:

time.sleep(5)

This is actually pure Python, but it works from the
PyMOL cmd line as well.

Yours,

    Kristian Rother
    Humboldt Universität Berlin