I am using Pymol to visualize a "pseudo polymer" generated by some brownian dynamics code. We take the coordinate files generated by our simulation and convert them into a PDB file using the hetatm representation and having explicit connections defined with conect. For example:

HETATM    1    P UNK A           2.637   1.188   0.470
HETATM    2    C UNK A           2.883   0.865   0.178
HETATM    3    N UNK A           3.176   0.740   0.564
.
.
.
.
CONECT    1    2
CONECT    2    1    3    4
CONECT    3    2

I also have the associated HETNAM and FORMUL header lines, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Pymol displays the individual files in the trajectory fine, but when we go to load in a trajectory of structures to view as a movie, the connectivity gets weird after only a couple of frames. Random atoms are attached to each other. Another strange behavior is that after 72 frames of the movie it regains the correct bonding for one frame and then dies again. For long trajectories, in other word, frames 1,2,74, 146, 218, etc are ok. However there are only 61 atoms in each file, so I don't see an obvious reason for this cycle.

If anyone wants a zipped archive of some of the pdb files to play around with, please email me. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Joshua Adelman

Joshua L. Adelman
Biophysics Graduate Group       Lab: 510.643.2159
218 Wellman Hall                                Fax: 510.642.7428
University of California, Berkeley      http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jadelman
Berkeley, CA 94720 USA                  jadel...@ocf.berkeley.edu