On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:13, Luca Fenu wrote:

I thought so, but couldn't be sure, as a lot depends on the quality of the drivers... w/o Direct Rendering (ATI drivers sucks!), my ath64 laptop with R9700 only manages to give me some 4 fps... that makes it all but unusable. so i was afraid to find myself in an even worst situation... Hopefully, PyMol takes advantage of Altivec... I'll give it a try. thanks again...

There's no Altivec in the G4 processor that drives the mac mini.

Apple has always had good graphics drivers, I wouldn't worry about that. My iBook (whose hardware is very similar to the mini) has much better PyMol performance than some of my Linux boxes whose hardware (both CPU and graphics) is more powerful in theory.

However, nothing beats real-life experience. Pack PyMOL and your data on a CD and go visit your nearest Apple vendor!

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France