Simon,

>  I then tried to follow Peter Myers instructions by adding the cctbx
Meyer, not Myers (not that it matters much).
> directory to the  sys.path, however as I have two directories called
cctbx_build and cctbx_sources was not sure which should be added?

Probably cctbx_build.  If in doubt, add both.  It'll be a directory with
*.pyd, *.dll, *.py, or *.pyc files in it.

>  Incidently this issue with getting cctbx running properly has been
> plaguing everyone in my lab for the last year. In the past we have just
jumped to alternative software packages. Is there any way cctbx can be
packaged with a pymol installation in the same way as python has been?

Other peoples experience may vary, but building/packaging software on/for
windows is problematic.  This is particularly the case for software with
multiple dependencies (aka if it can't be done within a single IDE,
windows makes you jump through lots of hoops to get things working).

**********
Since I didn't foward my last response to the list (oops), here's the
short version.  ImportError means that the python interpeter can't find
the needed modules.  Adding the directories these modules are installed in
to the system path lets the intepreter know where they are, and allows
them to be imported.  To add directories to the system path, at the pymol
prompt:
> sys.path.append('c:\cctbx_build')
> sys.path.append('c:\cctbx_sources')
The sources line may not be (probably isn't needed).  Both assume that
cctbx is installed in the listed directories (which probably isn't, but I
haven't set up a windows cctbx install).
Possibly this could be added to the pymolrc file (if it resolves the
problem).  This is more a work-around than a fix.

Pete

Pete Meyer
Fu Lab
BMCB grad student