Launching PyMol form external python script will produce segmaentation fault.
For example starting "launch.py" from "/pymol/examples/launching"
$ python launch.py
zsh: segmentation fault  python launch.py
Crashes without even showing PyMol windows.
Tried it on Fedora Core 1, Fedora Core 4, Mandriva 2005. The same story.
Different pythons and compiling different versions of PyMol does not change anything.
It will launch PyMol windows if there is only
  import pymol
line.
Adding
  pymol.finish_launching()
or
  from pymol import cmd
  cmd.load("$PYMOL_PATH/test/dat/pept.pdb")
will produce segmentation fault. With no windows shown. The same time if I'll try to debug step by step, let's say, "launch_demo.py" (from "/pymol/examples/launching")
pymol.finish_launching()
from pymol import cmd
cmd.load("$PYMOL_PATH/test/dat/pept.pdb")
cmd.show("sticks")
using IDLE. Everything will work. It starts windows, loads a file, changes to sticks... Running it "python launch_demo.py" will wait for a second and return segmentation fault. If someone knows what's going on, please help me.
Thanks
Dmitriy Bryndin