Sorry Viktor and Warren, but I don't think your suggestions are applicable. I have only a single protein molecule in my trajectory, which I kept centered at the origin, so it never traverses the periodic boundary. I did strip all but 20 waters from it using ptraj and created the appropriate topology file for it. That topology and trajectory, as I mentioned, work just fine in VMD. And the problem begins with the first frame, so its doesn't seem like bounding box info is messing it up.

What I thought might be the case is that the format of that ptraj- generated topology might be a little different that what PyMOL expected, so I decided to try loading the original (fully-solvated) topology with the original (fully-solvated) trajectory into PyMOL. Well, all it did was tie up my computer for ~15 minutes and then crash PyMOL. The trajectory file is pretty large half a Gig) but it opens fine in VMD, and doesn't tie up my machine.

I'm sorry to keep harping on the VMD thing - I'd much rather render the trajectory in PyMOL because of its obvious graphical superiority, but at present I can't do it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dmitry