Warren,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  It's good to hear that this
problem has been seen before (it's been one of those weeks for strange
computer issues).

I guess it shouldn't supprise me that there are issues with proprietary
OpenGL on linux (FYI the two machines I've seen this on are using ATI and
intel graphics cards).  I'll try out the options you mentioned.

Your idea about known-working (and non-working) combinations of hardware
seems like a very good thing to do.

Pete

> Pete,
>
> We have been suffering this same exact symptom with our nVidia-base
64-bit RHEL workstation for over a year.  I have spent enough time
troubleshooting the issue to have convinced myself that the problem
isn't PyMOL -- it is an inability of certain combinations of hardware,
Linux kernels, and proprietary OpenGL drivers to handle the vast
quantity of immediate mode rendering geometry that PyMOL generates.  It
seems to be either a sporadic buffer overflow or a race condition within
the kernel layer.

> The proprietary nature of the OpenGL drivers prevents anyone other than
the hardware vendor from being able to actually understand and solve the
problem.  Plus, the problem is sporadic -- most of the time everything
works fine, but sometimes PyMOL hangs, sometimes all of X11 freezes, and
sometimes the whole system comes crashing down.  The intractable nature
of these Linux stability problems is one of the primary reasons why I
recommend Mac OS X over Linux for unix-based PyMOL visualization.

> Note that the settings "nvidia_bugs" and "use_display_lists"  may reduce
the frequency of the problem on your system.  Other than that, my
suggestion would be to try different Linux kernels and OpenGL driver
versions.

> The combinatorial matrix of possibilities is huge, but maybe we should
create a table on the Wiki for people to post working and non-working
combinations of Linux kernels, cpu and graphics hardware, and opengl
drivers?  That's how we used to do things in the old days.  I suspect
only 5-10% of configurations are truly unworkable, and once enough data
is collected from enough people, meaningful patterns would likely
emerge.

> Cheers
> Warren
>
> --
> Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.
> Principal Scientist
>
> . DeLano Scientific LLC
> . 400 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
> . South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
> . Biz:(650)-872-0942  Tech:(650)-872-0834
> . Fax:(650)-872-0273  Cell:(650)-346-1154
> . mailto:war...@delsci.com

suggestions on how to fix this (or get debugging