> same here, how big are your map files in MB, how much ram and swap space
> do you have?

~5MB/map, 512MB RAM, ~2GB swap.  I'd expect a segfault (or an exception at
least) if I was overloading the memory/swap, and CPU would drop if it was
running out of physical RAM and swapping too much.

> I haven't the slightest clue. Does this happen immediately after loading
> the map or while rotating or what? But I can tell you that I'm running
> gentoo, w/vanilla sources 2.6.15 running in x86_64 mode (straight from
> kernel.org), 1.0.8178 nvidia drivers on a quadro4 980xgl video card.

No consistent pattern.  Both machines are x86, non-nvidia graphics cards
(which probably isn't helping).  But, score at least one working setup
(yours) as a fully functional combination.

> You might try as was suggested to upgrade your kernel. You can get
> 2.6.16 from kernel.org, copy your current .config into the root of the
> source directory, run make oldconfig, hit enter a bunch of times, then
> compile the kernel with make && make modules_install. You will have to
> recompile the nvidia drivers for the new kernel too.

It might come to that, but it'll be a last resort.  I'm reluctant to make
major modifications to a system that I'm using to do research in the
middle of a project (I've had 2 independent backups fail me at the same
time).  Particularly for a problem that isn't predictably reproducable, so
I wouldn't know if an upgraded kernel/module had actually fixed the
problem or not (it could be done w\ testing livecd distributions or within
a vm, or trying to get a debug build of pymol talking happily to a
debugger, but at a certain point it becomes more trouble to track down and
fix the bug than it does to deal with it).

Thanks for the suggestions,

Pete

Pete Meyer
Fu Lab