Dear Warren,

this little thread points nicely to the major problem that I have quite often with PyMol: it is a really powerful program, but the documentation is somewhere scattered between various incomplete sources (manual, reference list, wiki, bulletin board, user home pages, ...). This makes it very difficult for the average user like me to make full use of PyMol's capabilities. I would _really_ prefer to have a good and up-to-date documentation available, at least for the last official version, rather than more and more improvements with poor documentation.

Best regards,

Dirk.

Seth Harris wrote:
Hi Sun,

Warren (and others?) has posted some text before about this. A simple
template for it is as follows with the key being that mview interpolate
command at the end. This works, but I haven't been through it recently to
remind myself of the nuances of the animate=0 options and the view=0 options
at their respective occurences, but if you play around with it I think
you'll find it a treat.  Don't forget that the mset 1 x180 should be
replaced by however many total frames you want in the movie, and repeat the
little blocks for however many scenes you have. If you don't mind equal
sized steps between scenes you can automate the whole thing in a little
python loop for X number of scenes. Also replace 001, 002, etc. with
whatever your scenes are stored as. Use the mview store, YY to pinpoint at
which frame you want that scene to be set.

mset 1 x180
scene 001, animate=0
mview store, 1
scene 002, animate=0
mview store, 60
mview interpolate
mdo 1: scene 001, view=0
mdo 2: scene 002, view=0

There are other non-scene based movie mechanisms that allow fancier fades
and things, but this way is certainly much easier to work with.

-Seth

Dirk Kostrewa
Paul Scherrer Institut
Biomolecular Research, OFLC/110