Hi Esben and other PyMOL users,

We are using an LCD-based 3D system (18" C-i) from SeeReal:

www.seereal.com

The screens from SeeReal produce very nice 3D images without the use of
emitters/glasses(!). They require no special hardware except for a
reasonable high-end graphics card. Unfortunately, their products are quite
expensive. Because the user doesn't have to wear special shutter-glasses and
because the image is not flickering, the screen is a lot more comfortable to
work with than the old type. Be aware that the screen is for 3D viewing only
(although this seems to have been fixed in their NextGen series), and it is
therefore a good idea to have an extra (regular) screen connected to the
same computer for non-3D applications. SeeReal are also developing a
holographic display, which might be worth keeping an eye on.

Alternatively, consider the Sharp Actius 3D Notebook series (the most recent
model seems to be the AL3D) from Sharp Systems of America. It can be toggled
between 2D and 3D viewing at the push of a single button. It is only a
little more expensive than a regular notebook, but I have no experience with
the quality of the screen/stereo effect.

I have seen other solutions than the ones mentioned above (similar to the
SeeReal displays), but most of them seem to be equally pricy and I have no
experience with those. Have a look at the link below or just do a Google
search with e.g. "autostereographic display".

http://www.stereo3d.com/displays.htm

Best regards,
Thomas Blicher