Hi David,

Sorry to be more on the programmatic than on your pragmatic side.

> That seems like a modification that makes it less flexible.  Now I can't do:
>
> ray 2.5in, 20cm, dpi=300

Okay, let's say you could do:

ray 2.5, 20, units=(in,cm), resolution=300

providing either a single string, or a tuple of strings to indicate
the units. The reason for preferring that for me is the pymol/python
API. The x and y size should be floats, not strings, in order to make
the API intuitive and allow direct invocation in a script, without
doing something like

cmd.ray("%s"%xsize+xunit,"%s"%ysize+yunit,...)

You'd definitely want:

xsize = calc_size(arguments)
ysize = calc_size(arguments)
cmd.ray(xsize,ysize,units="cm",...)

> Don't ask me why I might want to use two different units, I just don't see a
> reason to make it so I cannot.  I'm frequently surprised by my desires.

I'm also surprised by your anticipation on your desires :)

> And resolution is inconsistent with the png function, and less precise.  I
> don't know what units I have with the resolution argument.  One of my high
> ranking complaints about pymol has been certain inconsistencies in the api,
> so that's actually what I care about more.  (Maybe I should write those up,
> but fixing these things is always hard because backwards compatibility kind
> of matters).

Please indicate the API inconsistencies. Solving inconsistencies
should be on everyone's wish list.

> Also, it would be nice to have this in the png function as well.

It's not possible to set both size and resolution as the png argument
merely writes out the image there is. You could either control the
resolution, adapting the size, or control the size, adapting the
resolution.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

--