I decided to dig in and answer my own question about what the seq argument does.

seq:
positive means use sequence and structure
0 means use only structure
negative means only use sequence

For super, I assume you only want to use structure, so messing with
that argument is silly advice.

The problem is that when you use structure, SelectorGetResidueVLA gets
an argument of true for ca_only

Obviously, nucleic acids don't have any c-alphas, so when
SelectorGetResidueVLA searches for residues using strcmp(ai1->name,
"CA") == 0 , pymol finds no residues in the selections, then complains
to you about "invalid selections" because it thinks the selections are
empty.

-David