Hi Matt,

> So some brief background, I am writing a pymol plugin for displaying
> pharmacophores queries from ZincPharmer ( http://zincpharmer.csb.pitt.edu/),
> which is developed in my lab. Version 1 of my plugin is available here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pharmer/files/ under the name load_query.
>
> Sorry if that quickly turned into an advertisement, but what I would like to

On the contrary, we welcome the promotion of PyMOL extensions! They
help the community find resources we may not have known about and it
helps the developer drive usage of his or her tools -- a win-win.  In
fact, the best way to promote a new script/plugin is to:
  (1) Create a PyMOLWiki webpage with example code, images, and links
back to your own project page (if you have one)
  (2) Email the list an enticing advertisement for your new functionality

Some people have even used PyMOLWiki page view counts in their grant
applications to show usage.

> be able to reproduce in pymol is something like this:
> http://i.imgur.com/hiX2i.png . Where the wire mesh sphere's represent the
> pharamacophores. Currently, I am using the cgo sphere's but they do not do
> well when there are overlapping pharmacophores (a common case).

We are planning on adding improved graphical and text annotations to
PyMOL. So, while we cannot currently do what you want we hope to be
able to in the near future.

Last, I hesitate to suggest this because it's so unsightly, but if you
need something in the meantime that resembles a mesh sphere (but is
not exact) you can create your CGO spheres and then do,

    set cgo_debug, 1

No, it won't ray trace like that either -- they'll be converted to full spheres.

Cheers,

-- Jason

Jason Vertrees, PhD
PyMOL Product Manager