BTW using python script given by Matthew i've obtained error

>>> execfile ('pymol.py')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "pymol.py", line 2, in <module>
    import pymol
  File "pymol.py", line 4, in <module>
    pymol.finish_launching()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'finish_launching'

it seems that pymol could not been imported (in my case it has been
installed by package manager and normally called from the command line)- so
to avoid such problems I have not to use python :)

James