Hi Alireza -

For renumbering a chain, the program PDBSET in the CCP4 suite is my tool of
choice.  If your protein is chain A, the command would look something like this:

pdbset xyzin my_protein.pdb xyzout my_protein_renumbered.pdb <<EOF
renum 1 chain A
EOF

To remove the extraneous stuff within PyMOL, you could also use applicable
selectors (http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Single-word_Selectors) to remove,
e.g. heteroatoms, solvent, organic (ligand) molecules, etc. using one or more
of these commands, depending on what it is you’re trying to remove.

remove het
remove solvent
remove all and not polymer
remove organic
remove metals

As an alternative (pun intended), instead of removing those items, you could
change their chain IDs using the `alter` command:

alter (chain A and not polymer), chain=“Z”

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jared

--
Jared Sampson
Xiangpeng Kong Lab

On Dec 13, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Alireza Kashani