Hi Bob,

I assume those are PSE files with setting "pse_binary_dump=on". This is not the
default. You can load such files into PyMOL, set pse_binary_dump=off and save
it as a regular serialized PSE. I definitely recommend the conversion step over
reimplementing the "pse_binary_dump" decoding. Right now there are 3 binary
atom layouts (for 1.7.6, 1.8.0 and 1.8.2). Grep the PyMOL code for
"AtomInfoTypeConverter" if you're interested in the details.

The default (in 1.8.2) is to save PyMOL 1.7.6 compatible PSE files, and with
the "pse_export_version" setting you can also export for older PyMOL versions.

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer