PDB format dictates that TER records are present at the end of a polymer chain.
Chain breaks or non-sequential numbering do not introduce TER records.  A TER
record is required between the polymer and non-polymer chain - even with same
chain ID. TER records should not be between non-polymers...

Of course, there have been many different flavors of PDB files produced by
different programs...

http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/file-format-content/format33/sect9.html#TER