I am under the impression that ray tracing is an entirely CPU process in
pymol. GPU accelerated ray tracing is not implemented in pymol, beyond the
command "draw" which is not the same anyway. The software developers need
to decide whether ray tracing in real-time is widely enough adopted
hardware and software to decide to implement code that will use these
(think about AMD card users, for example).

Currently you are probably better off with upgrading the CPU to something
like the 2990WX

Best wishes
Shintaro

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:08 AM Stephen Gravina <steve.radiota...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just installed a NVIDIA RTX 2080 for the Ray Tracing capabilities in
> PyMol. Just tested a GTX 1080 and the RTX 2080 and no difference. I did
> install the new Win10 patch and drivers. Update Bios.
>
> The GTX 1080 takes an hour to render the 30 frames for a second of a
> ray-traced movie of my protein a C class GPCR. I need 30 seconds, thus 30
> hours.
> .Only to find out a messed it up!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks