Jacob Hallén wrote:
torsdagen den 15 september 2005 12.42 skrev Martijn Faassen:

holger krekel wrote: [snip]

PyPy is not primarily - at least not only - about making Python
faster although many people like to view it this way :-)

This correction is a bit confusing... It is not surprising that
people view "a faster Python" as a primary goal of your project, as
that's the message that's been spread repeatedly by you all over
the years:
I think you misunderstand Holger.

I'm not sure how to understand Holger. He said PyPy is "not primarily -
at least not only" about making a faster Python, and was in the context of correcting someone. I figured that perhaps the PyPy project is not bringing the message out as well as possible, whatever this message is.

Making Python faster is _a_ goal with Pypy, but it is not _the_ goal.
The most important goals, as I see it are to produce something that
is flexible and which has a clear implementation. However, this
becomes an academic exercise if we produce something that is slower
than competing implementations of Python. We want to build something
that produces actual benefits in real world applications.

So, is making a faster Python a *primary* goal of PyPy or not? I understand that the way to go about this is to produce a clear, flexible implementation, and that this is also cool, and also a primary goal by itself, but is making a faster Python *also* a primary goal or not? If it's a primary goal, why the correction? If not, the message you all are putting across might need some clarification, as you're certainly implying to me in the texts I quoted that it is a primary goal.

Regards,

Martijn