Hi Stefan,

Then take a look at some of the tools that Cython users have written to
generate .pxd files from header files. I heard of at least two that use
gccxml and clang respectively. Seems like Wim Lavrijsen has also started
doing the same thing all over again with cppyy.

not sure where the statement "all over again" comes from, given that the
tech we use for CPython-bindings pre-dates Cython by half a decade or more.
Now it's just being re-used and re-implemented for PyPy in a way that fits
PyPy best.

I would really appreciate it if there was one way to do this that everyone
could just settle on and use, instead of throwing massive amounts of
separate developer time on the same issue again and again, that only lead
to tools that "work for what the author needed right now".

That'd be great, but we (HEP) absolutely need C++ in all it's ugly glory,
and it needs to be fully automatic from the header files. W/o that ability,
which we do have today for CPython, there would be no Python in HEP. This
discussion seems to be mostly restricted to C.

Best regards,
           Wim
--
wlavrij...@lbl.gov    --    +1 (510) 486 6411    --    www.lavrijsen.net