Hi Laura, hi all,

On 4 May 2015 at 05:27, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
>> Mario Reingart has been trying to internationalise CPython
>> since at least 2012.

Fwiw, I found a 2012 text that says "since 2010".

I'm absolutely +1 on the idea.  I recall my own experience as a child:
learning new keywords is fine --- you need to learn them anyway.
(Honestly, keywords like "for" have a very specific meaning that is
mostly unrelated to the general meaning of the word "for" in English.)
 Even "syntax error!" is fine if your programming language is BASIC
and there are only a few common error messages possible.  But if the
book I had was in English I would not even have started.  In the case
of Python, there are translated books, of course, but the first
difference with BASIC is that we can get commonly many more error
messages.  I think that allowing them to be translated is a good first
step.

Well, this is only my personal opinion.  Possibly more relevant to
this case is what already exists in the wide.  In fact, gcc, bash,
mercurial, .NET and MySQL are all examples where the error messages
are localized (found them by quickly scanning over the pages of
discussion), but where the keywords are still in English.  So "there
is no prior art" is plainly wrong.  In fact, say what you want, but
bash *is* a programming language.

> I think that if Mariano had a proof of concept, and evidence that it
> would be useful in practice as well as theory, then I think the PSF
> should be asked to consider funding this as a diversity measure.

And I believe that he has got a proof of concept (there is a patch),
and plenty of evidence that it is useful in practice (there is the
long list of other tools and languages where it is already done).  My
point of view is that the python-dev community plainly ignored him,
and continues to by rejecting his GSoC proposal.  I would like to push
forward having a PyPy which supports his goal.  If anything, as Laura
said, it would be a way to push forward PyPy in the relevant
communities.  Teaching children and non-technical people to start a
Python interpreter, even if just to play around a bit --- this is imho
the best way to demystify programming.

A bientôt,

Armin.