Hi,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfb...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> It would look cool if it was 2005.  To me, in 2015, it sounds
>> completely outdated...
>
> One thing that's very cool in BBV that I'm not aware of any other JIT
> doing is to have type-specialized entry points for uninlinable methods.

Right...  More generally the work is interesting as a way to compare
the Psyco-style, HHVM-style approach with tracing JITs.  It shows that
the former can be done simply and cleanly, probably more so than even
a simple tracing JIT can.  It pushes forward the idea to use a smaller
base language ("low-level javascript") which has a similar result to
the meta-tracing approach of PyPy.  It gives a good, modern point of
comparison for both approaches.  (Obviously, though, as author of
Psyco I'd have liked if it was even mentioned in this paper...  the
basic idea is exactly the same one.)

A bientôt,

Armin.