From: *Susan Fox* <f...@macalester.edu <mailto:f...@macalester.edu>>
Date: Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Subject: Pyrobot, Player/Stage, and Ubuntu 8.0...
To: pyro-users@pyrorobotics.org <mailto:pyro-users@pyrorobotics.org>

Hi, there,

I have installed Player/Stage 2.0.3 on my Ubuntu system, running Hardy Heron, and I've gotten it to work (I can open up the simulator and connect to it with playerv, at least). I have also installed three different versions of pyrobot, including the latest, and I have seen the same behavior each time (I may need to use Pyrobot 4.6 in order to communicate with the even older Pyrobot on my ancient Pioneer robots). I can start up the Stage simulator, but when I try to connect using Player.py or Player6665.py I get a playerc error. It does not complete the connection to the simulator, and I cannot do anything from that point on. I'm including a transcript that illustrates what happens. I'm using a fairly simple simulated world, just one Pioneer robot in it. The Pyrobot simulator works just fine, so far as I can tell. Someone posted about this earlier, and it was suggested that the robot is trying to connect to the port the simulator is using. But I don't know how to avoid that problem... The problem occurs with the world files provided with Pyrobot, and with those that came with Stage, and with those I created on my own.

Could this be a Player issue? I ran the tests that the Player installation called for...
I appreciate any help you can provide...

Thanks,

Susan

Here is the transcript:
macales...@zorro:~/Desktop/
Aug2007Vers/simulator$ pyrobot -s StageSimulator -c olin.cfg
Using PYROBOT on posix with CPU 0 in '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pyrobot'...

* Part of the Player/Stage/Gazebo Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net <http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/>].
* Copyright (C) 2000 - 2006 Brian Gerkey, Richard Vaughan, Andrew Howard,
* Nate Koenig, and contributors. Released under the GNU General Public License.
* Player comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
* are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see COPYING
* for details.

PLAYERPATH: :/usr/lib

trying to load /libstageplugin...
trying to load /usr/lib/libstageplugin...
trying to load /home/macalester/Desktop/Aug2007Vers/simulator/./libstageplugin...
trying to load /usr/local/lib/libstageplugin...
success
invoking player_driver_init()...
 Stage driver plugin init

 ** Stage plugin v2.0.3 **
* Part of the Player/Stage Project [http://playerstage.sourceforge.net <http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/>]
 * Copyright 2000-2006 Richard Vaughan, Andrew Howard, Brian Gerkey
 * and contributors. Released under the GNU General Public License v2.
success
  Stage driver creating 1 device
6665.31.0 is a Stage world [Loading ./olin.world][Include pioneer.inc][Include map.inc] Loading. warn: worldfile ./olin.world:36 : property [gui_boundary] is defined but not used (worldfile.cc WarnUnused) warn: worldfile ./olin.world:52 : property [polygon[0].filled] is defined but not used (worldfile.cc WarnUnused) warn: worldfile ./olin.world:84 : property [port] is defined but not used (worldfile.cc WarnUnused)

  Stage driver creating 2 devices
   6665.4.0 is "Pioneer"
   6665.5.0 is "Pioneer.ranger:0"
Listening on ports: 6665
 .calling connect
done
accepted client 0 on port 6665, fd 11
playerc error : poll call failed with error [11:Resource temporarily unavailable]
playerc error   : recv failed with error [Resource temporarily unavailable]
warning : failed to reconnect
playerc warning   : warning : no socket to write to
playerc error   : failed to get response

--
Susan Fox                             Math/CS Department
651-696-6553                        Macalester College

--
Susan Fox                             Math/CS Department
651-696-6553                        Macalester College
f...@macalester.edu <mailto:f...@macalester.edu>
http://www.macalester.edu/~fox

Douglas S. Blank
Director, Institute for Personal Robots in Education (IPRE)
http://www.roboteducation.org
Chair, and Associate Professor, Computer Science, Bryn Mawr College
http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~dblank  (610)526-6501