On 13.09.2009 18:07, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Matthias Klose<d...@debian.org>  wrote:
On 06.04.2009 00:33, Matthias Klose wrote:

While looking at the diffs between the 261 release tags and the 26 branch,
noticed many items in Misc/NEWS appearing in the 2.6.1 or even 2.6
sections.
I moved all of these to 2.6.2, after checking some of them, and found all
of the
checked ones be backported after the 2.6.1 release. Is there anything what
could
be done to avoid these wrong merges?

I plan to check the items on the 3.0 branch soon.

done again for the 2.6.3 (2.6 branch) and 3.1.2 (3.1 branch) entries. I
didn't check if these were inserted to earlier entries by intent except for
the removal of the entry for issue #2522.

  Matthias

Thanks.  One reason this happens is that our NEWS file is very
difficult to navigate.  svnmerge rarely works on it because the
context is often different in the branch file but figuring out which
version's section of the bazillion line file you are currently in is
very tedious in a text editor.

brainstorm:

another idea: have a pre-commit hook, which rejects modifications to this file
to entries for a released version, which can be overwritten by some keyword in the commit message.

  Matthias