On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:42:29 +0200, ""Martin v. Löwis""
<mar...@v.loewis.de> said:
> >> Ah. Did you get a message "[TARGETDIR] exists. Are you sure you want to
> >> overwrite existing files?"
> >
> > I may well have, but that wouldn't surprise me when doing an upgrade in
> > place.
>
> Ok, so I need to make the message more clear that this is an error, and
> that most likely you do not want to proceed. If this was an upgrade
> in place, the message would have read "This update will replace your
> existing [ProductLine] installation."

Well, I'm not at all sure that I saw the 'exists' message.  That one is
raised whenever the directory tree isn't empty?

> > The real problem, it seems, is there was a spurious python26.dll in
> > c:\Python26, which shadowed the one in c:\Windows.
>
> Not spurious. Most likely, your previous installation was "just for me";
> in this case, it cannot install into system32.

Ah so!  I think that is quite likely.  I'm not a big Windows user and it
took me a bit to realize the disadvantages of a 'just for me'
installation on my netbook.

> If you then do a "for all users" installation into the same location,
> you get the behavior that you observed: python26.dll gets installed to
> system32, and you end up with two copies of the DLL.

Is there a way to configure the installer so that if an 'all users'
installation was being done, any python26.dll in c:\Python26 would be
deleted?  I'm surely not the only person who's going to run into this.

Thanks for the analysis.

--
KBK