>> Good practice is to backport just after you commit on
>> trunk/py3k, not months later.
>
> Obviously, but people forget or simply choose not to.

I'd say: "tough luck, then". If people don't port a fix in some
branch, the bug stays unfixed in that branch. So what: if somebody
runs into the bug again, it will get fixed again - perhaps by the
same person who failed to backport in the first place. Or perhaps
in an entirely different way, possibly better.

I think it's perfectly fine that people have different notions
of quality and process. If we impose some notion of quality and
process on everybody, it better be widely agreed (i.e. the people
being forced to do things should, in principle, agree that these
are good things).

Regards,
Martin