On 27Jun2016 1616, Larry Hastings wrote:
I've added a note.

    * Windows users: Some virus scanners (most notably "Microsoft
    Security Essentials") are flagging
    "Lib/distutils/command/wininst-14.0.exe" as malware. This is a
    "false positive": the file does not contain any malware. We build it
    ourselves, from source, on a known-clean system. We've asked that
    this false positive report be removed, and expect action soon. In
    the meantime, please don't be alarmed to see this warning when
    installing Python 3.5.2, or when scanning any earlier version of 3.5.

    https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-352/

FWIW, it looks like today's definition update for Security Essentials has fixed the false positive (I would've liked an acknowledgement from the submission email, but I'll settle for a fix :) ).

Given basically everyone will get the definition update fairly quickly, I don't think this is an issue any more.

Cheers,
Steve