On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 12:22 AM, Antoine Pitrou <anto...@python.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le 24/03/2017 à 16:11, R. David Murray a écrit :
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:29:13 +0100, Antoine Pitrou <anto...@python.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> By the way, how do I fetch remote changes for a branch without pulling
>>> it into the working copy?  e.g. I'd like to do "git fetch origin 3.5" or
>>> "git fetch origin/3.5", but that doesn't seem to work...
>>
>> "git fetch origin 3.5" seems to work fine for me.  Maybe I don't
>> understand what you are trying to do?
>
> Apologies for being slightly imprecise.  Yes, "git fetch origin 3.5"
> actually fetches the remote changes, but it doesn't update the local
> "3.5" branch with those changes, so when I do "git diff 3.5" from
> another branch, I get spurious changes in the diff.
>
> (perhaps I should do "git diff origin/3.5" instead?)
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Yes, `git diff origin/3.5` is normal way.  If you always use feature branch,
there are no need for local 3.5 branch.
I usually create "backport" branch by: `git checkout -b
backport-xxx-35 origin/3.5`.

OTOH, there is hackey way.  Assuming you didn't have checkout of local
3.5 branch,
`git push . origin/3.5:3.5` may update 3.5 branch.