I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just skeptical that we can stop this
tide. New contributors are familiar with GitHub and GitHub only, and for
them, BPO looks and feels like a legacy system. And honestly, for smaller
projects, I've found GitHub a very effective place to have discussions
(e.g. most mypy design work is done there). Though I agree that GitHub
currently doesn't scale to the size of CPython unless you work hard on
setting up filtering (which *is* possible, just done very differently).

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 5/2/17 10:07 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 May 2017 09:36:02 +0200, "M.-A. Lemburg" <m...@egenix.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I don't think that's a good idea, since the core devs then
>>> have to check what's good discussion to have on Github PRs
>>> and what not.
>>>
>>> IMO, it's much easier for everyone to just always point people
>>> to BPO for discussions and keep PRs reserved for code reviews.
>>>

>> I agree with Mark-Andre here.  It will take effort on our part to
>> make our culture be "discuss on BPO", but it will produce a much
>> superior history to what github PRs produce, so I think it is worth it.
>>

> I agree with David and MAL. github PR's should replace Rietveld for code
> reviews, and should not replace BPO for discussions.
>
> Eric.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)