On Dec 6, 2017, at 12:45, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Depends on what you exactly mean with "award".
> Contributors might want to be able to edit more fields on the tracker,
> and the triage bit allows them to do it.  This is beneficial for both
> the contributor and the other triagers, since they have one more
> helping hand.  If the contributor knows what they are doing and they
> are helpful, we can "award" them with the triager bit, but this award
> shouldn't be given for unrelated accomplishments.
> Becoming a triager is a step to becoming a committer: we bestow them
> with some responsibility and trust, and if they do well, we can give
> them even more with the committer bit.

In general, I agree with David's and Ezio's comments, in particular the idea
that "bug triage" should not be an "award" nor a necessary first step towards
being a committer.  I think the skills necessary to be a good bug triager are
not the same as being a good core developer.  While the skill sets and
experience level needed can overlap, I think we should consider the two roles
as separate "career paths".  In other words, some people would do a fine job as
triager without wanting to be a core developer or contributing their own code
patches, and that's fine.

--
  Ned Deily
  n...@python.org -- []