On 12/6/2017 1:45 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
On Dec 6, 2017, at 12:45, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Depends on what you exactly mean with "award".
Contributors might want to be able to edit more fields on the tracker,
and the triage bit allows them to do it.  This is beneficial for both
the contributor and the other triagers, since they have one more
helping hand.  If the contributor knows what they are doing and they
are helpful, we can "award" them with the triager bit, but this award
shouldn't be given for unrelated accomplishments.
Becoming a triager is a step to becoming a committer: we bestow them
with some responsibility and trust, and if they do well, we can give
them even more with the committer bit.

In general, I agree with David's and Ezio's comments, in particular the idea that "bug triage"
should not be an "award" nor a necessary first step towards being a committer.  I think the skills
necessary to be a good bug triager are not the same as being a good core developer.  While the skill sets and
experience level needed can overlap, I think we should consider the two roles as separate "career
paths".  In other words, some people would do a fine job as triager without wanting to be a core
developer or contributing their own code patches, and that's fine.

I agree. Database maintenance is a separate skill and interest from the 3 skills of patch writing, reviewing, and merging. Committers need to be able to maintain and ultimately close the issues they work on, but need not engage in general tracker gardening.

tjr