> "Old and languishing issues should just be closed / ignored"
> I disagree with doing this blindly, and I would be mightily annoyed if
> someone did so with IDLE issues and hide valuable ideas and code.

Since you are IDLE's maintainer, I'll also be annoyed if other people
except yourself (or other IDLE maintainers) blindly close IDLE issues
without consulting you.

Many modules don't have maintainers anymore. If such issues have been
ignored for all these years, we'll probably never get to it. Might as well
close it.

The proposed idea is to provide a button that can copy over conversations
from a b.p.o issue to GitHub, and to continue discussions in GitHub. If
core devs have a list of issues they still care about, then they use this
not yet existing magic button.

The closed issue will still be in bpo, and anyone motivated enough can
migrate it to GitHub.

To deal with issues better, we need
> 1. More core developers, so more modules can have maintainers.

We need more core developers anyway, regardless of what tracker we're
using. That is a separate problem.

And perhaps this is to be discussed in a separate thread: even though in
the b.p.o we appear to have 170 committers, really there are 90 core devs
(people who has commit right to CPython on GitHub). and out of those 90, I
think only about half are currently active (since the migration to GitHub).
So yes, we need more (active) core devs.

2. Better support for core developers in the tracker.

Not sure what you mean by "support"? There are only two maintainers of the
bug tracker, they both are also Python core developers: Brett and Ezio. My
personal opinion is: they're more valuable elsewhere instead of supporting
the bug tracker. At its current state, the bug tracker is not ready to take
up new contributors, and it will not be easy effort to onboard new bpo
maintainers.

2b. Associated (linked) manager or dashboard for issues pertaining to a
> module or group of modules.

We can try the project boards as Ivan mentioned? https://help.github.com/
articles/about-project-boards/

* Labels can be grouped using name prefix and color, for example (we have
> similar structure in mypy):
>   - priority-low
>   - priority-normal
>   - priority-etc...
>   - kind-bug
>   - kind-docs
>   - kind-feature
>   - topic-asincio
>   - topic-etc..

I kinda like those!

I wonder if other hosted services, such as Gitlab, offer a more
> sophisticated issue tracker.

One thing I'm trying to avoid is having separate issue tracker and repo,
and needing different accounts.

Possibly useful for planning, if we had someone who was responsible for that

Perhaps for a project the size of Python we should have a dedicated Project
manager.

Mariatta
ᐧ