On 9/29/2018 4:51 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
29.09.18 03:45, Łukasz Langa пише:

>> (To paraphrase) 'We' are switching committers-list to Discourse.

Who is this 'we'?  I don't remember any discussion, let alone a vote.

On 28 Sep 2018, at 23:04, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you use NNTP? Like with IRC, you won't find the next generation of core developers on it. And no, there is no support for it in Discourse.

Yes, I do. I read all Python-related mailing list via the Gmane gate. It is convenient in case of large discussions, when I can read selected branches and ignore others. The great advantage of NNTP is that it provides access to past discussions. I can read Python-Dev discussions back from 1999.

Like Barry and Serhiy and perhaps others, I use gmane for all python lists I follow with a gmane mirror. At least with Thunderbird, I generally find it far superior to to the list interface: each list/group automatically goes is a separate directory; only subject lines are auto-downloaded*; I can choose to only see unread subject lines; I can set an auto-purge time.

* I now download and read less than half of python-list and python-ideas. When I am done with a batch, shift-C marks the rest as 'read' and therefore invisible unless I choose to see all unpurged articles.

When the gmane search page worked, it was much better than mailman's month-by-month search. Perhaps Discourse fixes this.

We could probably figure something out with Gmane if there's interest.

There definitely is, but ...

Would be nice. It would be even better if provide the own NNTP gate and avoid depending on third-party services.

Agreed.