I find it rather unusual that we are pushed to vote on PEPs
which will just have been finished in writing tonight.

Shouldn't people who were not involved in the individual creation
processes at least get two weeks to review the final work
to make up their mind before entering a voting period ?

It seems like we're completely skipping the review phase of the
regular PEP process and going straight from PEP writing to
a vote:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#id38

which is odd given the importance of this decision and also
odd compared to normal democratic procedures where laws are
first crafted, then put through parliament for discussion and
then decided upon after everyone has had a reasonable chance
for review.

For the people who have been heavily involved in the PEP creations
this may seem unnecessary, but this is just small subset of the
core developers.

BTW: Thank you for writing up the comparison. I hope you have
updated to the resp. final versions of the PEPs as well :-)

On 15.11.2018 13:08, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Le sam. 3 nov. 2018 à 03:37, Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> a écrit :
>> According to the PEP 8001: "The vote will happen in a 2-week-long
>> window from November 16 2018 to November 30 (Anywhere-on-Earth)." It's
>> now in less than two weeks.
>
> It seems like the vote is going to start tomorrow, but see discussions at:
>
> -
> https://discuss.python.org/t/does-the-nov-16-nov-30-voting-timeframe-still-work/434
> -
> https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-801x-authors-are-you-on-track-for-the-vote-between-nov-16-nov-30/432
>
> For the 3 core developers (on 95) who didn't fill their email address
> in the voters repository, please do so! (I sent you an email :-))
>
> => https://github.com/python/voters/issues/1
>
> Note: This repository is private and will remain private, only
> accessible to core developers (to not leak your email addresses).
>

>> I see that the PEP 8001 is still being updated (voting method). Should
>> we still expect new changes before the vote starts? Can we set a
>> deadline, like November 15 (Anywhere-on-Earth)?
>> (...)
>> What is the deadline to submit new governance PEP and to update
>> governance PEPs? November 15 (Anywhere-on-Earth)?
>
> It seems like today is last day to update the 80xx PEPs (8 PEPs: 8001
> and 8010..8016). Hurry up if you want to push a last minute change :-)
> (Obvious, it's ok if your PEP doesn't need changes anymore ;-))
>
> --
>
> Again, I share the link to my comparison of the 7 governance PEPs:
>
> https://discuss.python.org/t/comparison-of-the-7-governance-peps/392
>
> Please update it (any core dev can modify the first message, it's a
> wiki!) if my comparison is inaccurate/out of date. Or add a comment if
> you are not sure.
>
> Obviously, only PEPs should be used to take your decision (vote). My
> comparison only exists to have a quick overview, but I expect that you
> all will ready all PEPs, right? :-D
>
> Victor

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Nov 15 2018)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/