> On Mar 22, 2019, at 8:34 AM, Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Julien Palard and me (Victor) propose to promote Stéphane Wirtel as
> core developer. We open a vote until March 31 (~one week). "[A
> promotion] is granted by receiving at least two-thirds positive votes
> in a core team vote and no veto by the steering council."
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0013/#the-core-team

For some reason, I can't vote on discourse. The message is "you can vote
because you can't post in this topic."  So please add this post to the tally.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed working with Stéphane Wirtel and think he is a
great person and Python enthusiast. That said, I think we should wait.  The
contributions thus far have been very light weight. Also, I've not seen active,
critical decision making on the bug tracker that would demonstrate an
understanding of what to approve and what not to approve.

Nominating someone too early puts us all in an awkward position. It's no fun to
vote with a -1.  If the nomination has been allowed to mature, this could be a
more positive experience for everyone.  We shouldn't have just one person
spewing out nominations and doing it prematurely (imo). We had that situation
happen in the PSF and it quickly degraded as people started nominating their
friends some of whom had only light associations with Python. In the end, that
situation necessitated a reorg to where the new standard was zero.  We already
have a number of core-devs who are core devs in name only, having never made a
commit or actively participated in developing the core.

Socially, there are two other concerns. One concern is unevenness -- the bar
was very high for some people and very low for others. It really seems to
matter who nominated you and who your friends are.  The other concern is
formation of cliques of friends who approve each other's proposals, but falling
into groupthink because of light experience and low diversity of ideas.

Raymond