On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, 05:25 Jack Diederich <jackd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry we had to ban Guido for three months but maybe he'll learn his
> lesson and not merge commit messages that include screeds about "relics of
> white supremacy".

I'm guessing there's some layers of irony or sarcasm in this message, but
I'm definitely not able to unpack them, and I think it's spectacularly
inappropriate regardless. Maybe you're only joking when you say Guido is at
fault here, and maybe you're only joking when you act like the problem with
white supremacy is people mentioning the existence of white supremacy. I
don't know. I hope so, because both statements are completely false. But
there are certainly plenty of people who think both those things, so it
doesn't work as a joke.

I would forward this post to the conduct-wg, but Jack's already cc'ed them
himself.

I think this interchange illustrates why we need some clearer statements
from the conduct-wg when you all have a chance. Obviously Jack and I still
have very different ideas about what's appropriate here. Does the
conduct-wg in fact consider mentions of white supremacy to be a violation
of the CoC? I hope not, but I just don't know.

-n