On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 1:24 PM M.-A. Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:
> Isn't that an educational problem ? Adjusting reporting of
> warnings isn't all that hard:

A common practical problem is a project CI which pulls the most recent
verisons of 3rd party dependencies and suddenly break if a new
deprecation warning is raised by such project.

It's not convenient to have to ignore warnings in every single
dependencies, especially from *indirect* dependencies.

It would be better to have a simple way to only emit warnings in a set
of packages.

> True, but at the same time, we often find that deprecations are
> not visible enough by these projects, which then causes a problem
> further down the road when the deprecation then gets turned into
> a breaking change.

Who is responsible of fixing deprecation warnings? Python core
developers who introduce the warnings, developers using a module, or
maintainers of the module? I have no answer to that question. Usually,
the answer is: it depends :-) Everyone has their own agenda, and
reducing the technical debt is rarely the top priority ;-)

Victor