On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 12:59 PM Christian Heimes <christ...@cheimes.de>
wrote:

> On 14/03/2022 19.37, Brett Cannon wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 5:04 PM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org
> > <mailto:vstin...@python.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Brett,
> >
> >     You can put my name as Contact of all Fedora and RHEL platforms.
> >
> >     Note: Fedora "Rawhide" is the rolling release and it's common that
> >     these buildbots are broken by kernel, compiler or glibc updates,
> >     rather than actual Python regressions. Time to time, it detects real
> >     Python regressions. Tier 2 should only target Fedora *Stable* (which
> >     is the case ;-)).
> >
> >      > glibc XXX [fedora-stable]
> >
> >     Mentioning that Fedora uses glibc is nice, but I don't think that
> it's
> >     worth it to mention the glibc version. Fedora is released every 6
> >     months and the glibc version is updated at each Fedora release.
> >

> > Christian had suggested/asked for that. So are people okay dropping the
> > glibc version and instead documenting that it's testing glibc instead of
> > e.g. musl?
>
> Looks like I was not communicating my intention clearly. I don't want to
> list libc ABI and Kernel ABI of every targeted distro. Instead I would
> like to include only the glibc version of the oldest manylinux wheel
> standard that is supported by PyPI.

That concept doesn't exist anymore thanks to perennial manylinux support:
https://peps.python.org/pep-0600/ .

> glibc has a strong forward compatibility guarantee. If something works
> with glibc 2.17, then it will also work with 2.34. A minimum glibc
> version sets the minimum feature set that we can rely on. If we say that
> Python is tested with glibc 2.17 and Kernel ABI 3.10 (CentOS 7), then we
> set CentOS 7 a baseline for users that also covers Debian Oldstable.
>
> glibc and Kernel ABI are relevant for some features like getrandom()
> syscall, memfd_create, and similar.

Since the glibc version support is now embedded as part of the tag for
wheels on Linux, I don't think we can really specify a minimum anymore. In
that case it probably comes down to simply saying a platform using glibc
for the libc implementation is enough.

-Brett