I think the way to go is PythonOption now, then consider PythonSessionOption later - I too do not like too many options and am not sure that session handling is a core function.

Changing it later (if we decide to) should not be a big problem - it's pretty easy to just spit our a wrning that says "change your directive to this".

Grisha