On Apr 9, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Michael Hudson wrote:

"Gregory P. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Under "Limitations and Exclusions" it specifically disowns
responsibility for worrying about whether Py_Initialize() and
PyEval_InitThreads() have been called:

[snip quote]

This suggests that I should call PyEval_InitThreads() in
initreadline(), which seems daft.

fwiw, Modules/_bsddb.c does exactly that.

Interesting. The problem with readline.c doing this is that it gets implicitly imported by the interpreter -- although only for interactive sessions. Maybe that's not that big a deal. I'd still prefer to change the functions (would updating the PEP be in order here? Obviously, I'd update the api documentation).

Is there a good reason to *not* call PyEval_InitThreads when using a threaded Python? Sounds like it would just be easier to implicitly call it during Py_Initialize some day.

-bob