Raymond writes:
> That suggests that we need a variant of split() that has been customized
> for typical find/index use cases.  Perhaps introduce a new pair of
> methods, partition() and rpartition()

+1

My only suggestion is that when you're about to make a truly
inspired suggestion like this one, that you use a new subject
header. It will make it easier for the Python-Dev summary
authors and for the people who look back in 20 years to ask
"That str.partition() function is really swiggy! It's everywhere
now, but I wonder what language had it first and who came up with
it?"

-- Michael Chermside

[PS: To explain what "swiggy" means I'd probably have to borrow
  the time machine.]