Jim Fulton wrote:
>> stdlib, external modules, internal modules seems like enough ordering
>> to me.  If you want to order things more exactly, sure, but I don't
>> really see the point personally.  Since I can't assume as a reader
>> that imports are ordered in any way I have to search to be sure of
>> what's there.  The grouping help me browse, but I'd hope that the
>> import list is short enough that I don't need to use alphabetization
>> to scan for a module.
>

> Personally, I don't find the stdlib/external distinction to be useful.

I like the stdlib coming first, because (if it's not using "from")
stdlib imports are just line noise and I don't pay any attention to
them.  I care if a module uses an external package, but I don't care
what stdlib packages it uses (I'd actually like to be able to avoid
importing them at all, but that's an aside:
http://blog.ianbicking.org/py-std.html).  So I don't really care what
comes first, just that stdlib imports are grouped together so I can
ignore them, and first is as good a place as anything.  "from...import"
is a different matter of course, because I need to look at those to see
where names come from.

Additionally, having the local packages grouped together helps make up
for the non-distinction of absolute and relative imports.

--
Ian Bicking  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org