On 07/08/2018 11:50 AM, Ned Deily wrote:
On Jul 8, 2018, at 14:23, Julien Palard via Python-Dev <python-dev@python.org>
wrote:
[Larry]
3.5 also got some doc-only changes related to the online "version switcher"
dropdown.
About this I have a question: the switchers for english version of 3.4 and 3.5
are disabled (https://docs.python.org/3.5/) but not disabled for translations
(https://docs.python.org/fr/3.5/). I don't see any mention of dropping them in
PEP 101, and I don't think it's a good thing (UX point of view).

Should I re-enable version and language switchers on 3.5? I think so and I can
do, just give me the go (or the argument/pointers on why it's disabled).
I'm not Larry but I believe the reason that the switchers are missing on the
on-line versions of 3.4 and 3.5 docs is that we release managers manually build
and update the doc sets for release branches that are in security-fix-only mode
(and that have been taken out of the automatic docs-build script) and we're not
clever enough to know to build them with the switchers enabled.  If we can
document that in our release process, that would be cool.

Yes, exactly!  The place to document the process would be PEP 101. (Or, if you wanted to volunteer to handle building and deploying the online docs /for/ the RMs, that works too!)

I know there's an automated system that rebuilds the docs on a regular (daily? hourly?) basis for certain versions.  I suspect the RMs all have login credentials for the machine where that happens. If you could make it so we could manually kick off a doc rebuild for a specific version (and tell us how to do it) that would be perfect!

//arry/