On 8/23/2018 4:30 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

The reference is the PEP 373 "Python 2.7 Release Schedule". See the
"Update" section:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#update

We could probably make it more clear in this section and/or in https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#id4 that there will be no 2.7 releases of any kind after 2020-01-01: no bugfix, no security, and no source releases after that date.

I'll whip something up if there's general agreement.

Eric

Victor

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed the Python 2.7 EOL
date was recently set to Jan 1st, 2020.

My understanding was Python releases get 5 years of support from their
initial release, and Python 2.7 was extended an additional 5 years.

Python 2.7 was originally released on 2010-07-03, and with an original EOL
of 2015-07-03. Extended 5 years, shouldn't the EOL be 2020-07-03?

Also, this statement is a little unclear to me:

Specifically, 2.7 will receive bugfix support until January 1, 2020. All
2.7 development work will cease in 2020.

This statement makes it sound like bugfixes end on Jan 1st, but seems to
leave open the possibility that security fixes could continue through the
year.

Thanks!
Collin