> On Mar 20, 2019, at 3:30 PM, Gregory P. Smith <g...@krypto.org> wrote:
>
> I like the idea of documenting attributes, but we shouldn't force the user to
> use __slots__ as that has significant side effects and is rarely something
> people should bother to use.

Member objects are like property objects in that they exist at the class level
and show up in the help whether you want them to or not.   AFAICT, they are the
only such objects to not have a way to attach docstrings.

For instance level attributes created by __init__, the usual way to document
them is in either the class docstring or the __init__ docstring.  This is
because they don't actually exist until  __init__ is run.

No one is forcing anyone to use slots.  I'm just proposing that for classes
that do use them that there is currently no way to annotate them like we do for
property objects (which people aren't being forced to use either).  The goal is
to make help() better for whatever people are currently doing.  That shouldn't
be controversial.

Someone not liking or recommending slots is quite different from not wanting
them documented.  In the examples I posted (taken from the standard library),
the help() is clearly better with the annotations than without.

Raymond