On 27Mar2019 1048, Victor Stinner wrote:
Since November 2017, I'm refactoring the Python Initialization code to
cleanup the code and prepare a new ("better") API to configure Python
Initialization. I just fixed the last issues that Nick Coghlan asked
me to fix (add a pre-initialization step: done, fix mojibake: done).
My work is inspired by Nick Coghlan's PEP 432, but it is not
implementing it directly. I had other motivations than Nick even if we
are somehow going towards the same direction.

I this this should be its own PEP, since as you say it is not implementing the only PEP we have (or alternatively, maybe you should collaborate to update PEP 432 so that it reflects what you think we ought to be implementing).

Having formal writeups of both ideas is important to help decide between the two. It's not good to overrule a PEP by pretending that your change isn't big enough to need its own.

(Not trying to devalue the work you've been doing so far, since it's great! But internal changes are one thing, while updating the public, documented interfaces deserves a more thorough process.)

Cheers,
Steve